Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Still Hanging Around

There's been quite a bit of water under the bridge since my last post in 2013.  I'm not sure that I want to resurrect this blog as an active writing pursuit, but it's been great to read about my own life and remember the stories I've recorded.  I've especially enjoyed the ones that include my children, wife, and friends.

I try to be polite, so, in case you're still reading, I'll catch you up.

The Older Sister has finished college.  The Middle Brother is about to graduate high school and just finished a round of college applications.  The Younger Sister is a Freshman in high school and actually rides to school amicably every morning with the brother.

My wife is thriving as a Physician Assistant in a great practice and is very content with her work, loves her boss, and has a wonderful set of patients for whom she cares.

As for me, I'm no longer serving a church as pastor.  Instead I fill my days building websites, running social media and marketing campaigns for a few small businesses and non-profits, and I'm part owner of a restaurant/wine bar. I had a pacemaker installed in 2014, at the ripe old age of 44.  Turns out I had sick sinus syndrome and my cards doc thinks it may have been a genetic issue.  All I know is that after I had the surgery I woke up and felt 25 again. To say "I'm better" is an understatement and I'm grateful to God and docs for this turn in life. Nowadays people ask that greeting, "How are you today?" And I always reply, "It's like Christmas every day of my life."  And I mean it.

Life is very different with older children and two businesses to run, but I am just as busy as I was when I was a pastor to a congregation. I have a new appreciation for all those dedicated church volunteers who struggle to balance family, work, and church work. For all the times I failed to appreciate the difficulty of "keeping it all together"on the part of my congregants, I'm sorry.  You know who you are.

Stop by and say hi on Facebook, or drop me a message here if you'd like to stay in touch.  I'll keep thinking about whether or not to keep writing at this blog. I'm not asking for you to ask me. Seriously.  In reality, I'm hesitant to continue because I'm more skeptical about religion and more cynical about the church. I'd love to hear from others on that journey because I have more questions than answers these days.

No comments: